Re: How about a real document reader!

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:22, Adam Williams wrote:
> > I have several documents on my computer gathered from all over the net.
> > Usually, it's sufficient for me to read them on screen instead of
> > printing them out. However, in order to store them in a nice way, I have
> > to print them out. What I'm missing is a nice document reader which can
> > handle different file formats like .pdf, .html, .ps, .txt and even .swx
> > or .doc, and can present me these file in good on-screen readable way
> > like the full screen option of acroread. Furthermore, this program
>
> Doesn't a web browser do this?  With the mozilla-bonobo plugin I can
> view just about anything
>
> [snip]
>
> Nautilus can view alot of documents,  a nautilus plugin like
> mozilla-bonobo is for web-browsers would be very nice.

No, this is not a Nautilus or Web browser task.  What he is requesting
is a gThumb equivalent for documents and I can see how it would be
useful, especially if it could tie into any existing document management
frameworks.

Still, Gnome is driven by community contributions and development.
Unless there is somebody with the time and commitment who believes in
something like this, it just won't happen.

- Charlie
--
Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>
XWT Foundation - www.xwt.org