Gnome 2.4 hangs on esounds WAS Re: gnome always hungs

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 13:03, Wang Yajun wrote:
> I am using Debian Sid with Gnome 2.4.
> The gnome panel always hungs.
>
> It is caused by some window which lost responds.
> Then whenever I lauch a program in top panel, the
> panel lost responds too.
> But all open windows are ok, I can switch
> between them.
>
> Anyone has some idea about my problem?
> I am writing when the top panel hanging, :(

I have been having this problem too.

What I have found is that it is related to esound.

To verify this, reboot and log into Gnome.  Start a terminal then do
what ever you like to do until the system hangs.

When it hangs, switch to your terminal and "kill" the esound daemon.

Voila!  Things will start going again.

If you try this again but when the system hangs switch to your terminal
and start say gedit with a system trace:

	$ strace gedit

You'll probably find that it "hangs" while reading ~/.esd_auth.

The way around it is to disbale sound server startup in the desktop
preferences so at least you can get along a do things.

I have filed a bug with the esound package as it is several version too
old.

I never had this problem with the latest version that was built with
garnome.

I'm using an IBM T40 laptop (Intel sound card) and 2.4.22 kernel.

Let me know if you find any solutions.

--
Simon Wong <linux thoughtworx com>