Gnome panel configuration

I recently installed gnome2.2 and I use debian.

Where can I configure the contents of my panel? I
would like to make my own menu to my panel. So far I
have only managed to make a submenu to applications
menu. I also tried removing applications menu by
removing applications-all-users.vfolder-info file but
still there's gnome and kde submenus in the
applications menu.
Is there a way to get rid of debian and kde menus?

thanks
Jukka Kommeri <jkommeri yahoo com>