Adding truetype fonts screws up gnome?

I decided to add a slew of truetype fonts I had laying around to my SuSE 8.2 box. All went well and I could access them fine. Then I tried to fire up gtali, and it complains that it can not find any fonts. Tells me to check fontconfig.

I then restarted X and now I have no panels. If I try to start them in a term, I get similar errors. I did find fonts-config and ran it with the 'force' option, but that did not seem to make any difference. The resolution at this point was to remove those fonts, but that's not exactly what I want.

I did google a reference that noted that that fontconfig would die prematurely if it found a collision between fonts. No resolution though.

Anyone else experience such a problem?

--
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric 3times25 net

Think about it...