Re: A silly question!!!!!!!

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2002-September/msg00044.html
> My apologies, that was too harsh. You asked a more specific question
> this time, so it's not deja-vu.

Well I posted before I could successfully run startx and the post you
replied to was AFTER I could successfully run startx.  In some ways it may
have helped people with similar issues or people searching archives later.

> > > My ~/.xinitrc runs exec gnome-session so is there a "-v or
> > > version" flag to that?
> There is no -v flag to gnome-session. On a linux system, you can do
> `ls -l /proc/$(pgrep gnome-session)/exe`
> to see which binary is being run and then use your packaging system to
> find out whether this is the GNOME 1 or GNOME 2 (rpm -qf ..., or similar
> Debian magic, etc). Other systems may have similar tricks.
> Cheers,
> Malcolm

Actually, I run FreeBSD 4.6.2 exclusively on my home PC so this doesn't
directly help, however, you've reminded me that in some way I can probably
just do a `ps auxww | grep -i gnome` and wade through it to find out what's
running when.  Thanks after all!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder