Re: new user's list of stupid questions

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 22:45, Randy Bush wrote:
> freebsd 4.7-stable, installing from ports tree
>
> general
>
>   o do i need to install gnome as well as gnome2?  or will
>     installing gnome2 and both applet sets be sufficient?  this
>     seems to be ok.

You only need one or the other. The GNOME2 applets only work with GNOME2
and the GNOME1 applets only work with GNOME1.

> gnome-session
>
>   o can i start a single app, e,g, ssh-add, and after it completes,
>     and only after it completes, then start a bunch of windows?

I think maby, but I'm not sure. Look at the session properties dialog,
in particular the start order.

If all else fails, add an "ssh-add;" line to your .xinitrc file before
gnome-session.

> panel
>
>   o how do i put the appended small script into a swallowed
>     application?  i really need multi-timezone clocks.

Not sure. Can you explain what you mean and how multi-timezone clocks
figure into it?

>   o how do i keep the workspace sub-panel from moving and dropping
>     desktops, especially if some are unused?  i really want them
>     all in a fixed 3x4 pattern.

This is gnome2?
They should be a fixed dimension. What makes them go away? How do you
get them back? What window manager are you using?

>   o how do i arrange the little icons within a mini-launcher?

Not sure.

>   o how can i have two mini-launchers in the same panel but with
>     different content?
>
> starfish

Starfish? Do you mean Sawfish?

>   o how do i cause an opening window to extend to the bottom of the
>     screen, a la button-3 in tvtwm?

No idea.

> nautilus
>
>   o how do i set a background color and pattern that applies to all
>     folders?

Good question.

> randy
>
> ----
>
> env TZ=GMT        xdaliclock -24 -noseconds -font -*-lucida-*-r-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 -fg blue  &
>                   xdaliclock -24 -noseconds -font -*-lucida-*-r-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 -fg white &
> env TZ=Asia/Tokyo xdaliclock -24 -noseconds -font -*-lucida-*-r-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 -fg red   &
> env TZ=PST8PDT    xdaliclock -24 -noseconds -font -*-lucida-*-r-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 -fg green &

Ahh... this must be what you meant about clocks. I'd try finding the
binary for the clock, then running
$ env TZ=.....; [clock-binary];
from the command line.

The Gnome2 clock appears to be part of the panel binary, so you may not
be able to do this at the moment.

--Ben