Re: Custom Icons

On 22 Nov 2002, Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 15:53, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:17:01PM -0500, Eric Fields wrote:
> > > Currently, as a high school student about to enter college, I'm not a
> > > computer-programmer, but from what i do know, i think that this is not
> > > too grand an obstacle.
> >
> > A far easier solution would be to just make a symbolic link to your new
> > directory.  This wouldn't take any programming on anyone's part,
> > compared to making Gnome smart enough to know when the user has moved
> > some data out from under it.
>
> True, but it would be nice if the archetcture supported it.
>
> I don't know exactly how Nautilus's icon mechanism works, but it does
> have dotfiles in lots of directories.
>
> I know EFM used a .icons file in every directory for just this reason.

I think it works if you rename it using nautilus (otherwise it's a bug),
but it's hard to do if you rename it from e.g. the shell. Can't do that
until we get proper extended attributes in the filesystem.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted one-eyed vampire hunter on a mission from God. She's a blind
punk stripper with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!