gnome-cd & CDDBSlave2 & freedb & proxy

There is scant info on the use under gnome v2 of the gnome-cd app together
with CDDBSlave2 so the freedb.freedb.org CDDB site can be used though a
firewall.
I am running RedHat 8.0. I have chosen Preferences->Network Proxy
and set it to the correct Location and Port and I have select the
Use HTTP proxy option. I have chosen Extras->Preferences->CDDB and I have
selected Other server... and set the Hostname to freedb.freedb.org and
the Port to 80.
However, despite these settings, when I play a CD there is no Title or track
titles shown. I cannot find any docs on how to do this correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

-roddy