fontconfig installation

A problem I've found with fcpackage is the tarball unpacks four directories -- Xft Xft1 Xrender fontconfig -- and the only instructions I can find are in the fontconfig directory. fontconfig seems to require Xft and Xrender, but doesn't explain how or in which order these should be installed. With only fontconfig installed, I experienced the problem that others on this group have mentioned that current gnome installs hang on the spash screen.

I installed the fcpackage like this:

gunzip < /mnt/cdrom/sources/fcpackage.2_0.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd fcpackage.2_0
cd Xft
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr/X11R6
make make install
cp *.h /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft
cp xft.pc /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig
ldconfig
cd ../fontconfig
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr/X11R6
make make install
ldconfig
cd ../Xrender
xmkmf -a make
make install
ldconfig
cd /usr/src
rm -rf fcpackage.2_0

The above seems to work OK, except mozilla compiles but won't launch if --enable-xft is used to configure it.

I suspect I'm not the only one finding fontconfig a headache setting up a Gnome2.1 system, so some tips would be appreciated.

Robert