Re: GNOME Menu Editor

On Fri 08 Nov 2002 08:29, stephen 1978 att net wrote:
> The gnome menus
> were severely limited (couldn't even find the Gimp), and when I tried to
> add my own menu items, I could not find the Gnome menu editor to do so.

The following is for power-users:
1. Menuitem ".desktop" files are similar for KDE and Gnome
   (KDE has troubles with the occasional Gnome .desktop)
2. Thus you can almost get away with symlinking the top of
   the official Gnome menu tree under the shared KDE applnk
   directory.  (look at /etc/opt/kde/share/applnk or similar)
<rant>
   How is the commitee going that is trying to get this sort
   of stuff standardized?
</rant>
Your mileage may vary

3. You "could" generate a dirty set of .desktop files with
   ls /opt/gnome/bin/* | sed|perl|shell_script
Your mileage may vary considerably.

4. Use vi on the .desktop files.
   You get quick access to ALL fields in the .desktop files,
   regardless of the GUI editor.

<rant>
   The .desktop files can be quite expressive.  In general I have
   found the Gnome menu editor to be better than the KDE one,
   because it allows more complete editing of the attributes.

   It would also be useful for root and other privileged users
   to be able to create .desktop directories for sharing.
   The different sets of menus would be displayed as a grove
   not a separate tree.
   Could this be something like an "include" in applnk directory
   files?
   [included_menu_trees]
   name_or_path_of_other_menu_tree_0
   name_or_path_of_other_menu_tree_1
   name_or_path_of_other_menu_tree_2

   This would allow a system-wide tree for Oracle applications to
   be maintained by the dba, for example, not just root.

   Again, both KDE and Gnome should agree on how this is formatted.
</rant>
--
David T. Bath
EDIPost, Australia Post

Australia Post is committed to providing our customers with excellent service. If we can assist you in any way please either telephone 13 13 18 or visit our website www.auspost.com.au.

CAUTION

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received this e-mail in error you must (a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it; (b) please notify Australia Post immediately by return e-mail to the sender; and (c) please delete the original e-mail.