Re: REMINDER: less than 8 hours to be a candidate for the GNOME Foundation elections

Le 04 Nov 2002 16:47:08 +0000, Andrew Sobala a ecrit :

> On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 16:31, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > The deadline for the nomination of the candidates is Monday,
> > November 4th, 23:59 UTC. This is in less than 8 hours. If you are
> > thinking about running for these elections and haven't announce it,
> > please announce it before this deadline, else your candidacy will be
> > invalid.
>
> I'm not running, but my understanding was that most GNOME deadlines
> (snapshot deadlines anyway) were along the lines of "The deadline has
> passed when everybody, that's everyone on the planet, is not in a
> Monday."

I think there's a big difference between snapshots deadlines and
elections deadlines. A GNOME release/snapshot can be pushed back if it's
not ready (for any reason), but the elections can not be pushed back.
The GNOME Foundation has to follow some rules, and so we have to be
strict for this kind of things. This is why deadlines are defined
accurately. The definition you gave is not accurate. I agree that UTC
may not be the best choice, but it's too late to change that.

> Considering no specific time was given in the initial announcement,
> maybe the deadline should be Tuesday 5th, 11:59 UTC.

A specific time is specified on
http://foundation.gnome.org/electionrules.html and it was specified in
the first reminder
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2002-October/msg00038.h
tml). Considering that the official rules are those on
http://foundation.gnome.org, I don't think we should change the deadline
now.

Vincent

--