gnome control center applet failure

I'm running debian/sarge. For sometime now I've not been able to
configure my desktop. Today's update included XFree86 so I had to
restart X.

Here's what's in .gonme-errors when I try to configure shortcuts:
(Settings->Sawfish window manager->Shortcuts)

> *** File error: No such file or directory, gui/gtk
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `GtkObject'
>
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 236 (gtk_object_destroy): assertion `GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed.
>
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 728 (gtk_container_remove): assertion `widget != NULL' failed.

What do I need to do to be able to configure things again?

--
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are
merely rearranging their prejudices." -- William James