Re: gonme and the internet.

Thanks for the feedback.

So to recap.
It is impossible to turn the network serice off @ boot time, log into
gnome, turn the network service back on and expect things to work
because gnome still thinks its off the network.
You can however enable the network @ boot time log into gnome then shut
the network down by turning the service off or by /sbin/ifdown eth0,1
etc. but if this route is taken be sure not to log out of gnome before
turning the network back on or you screwed.