GDM and sessreg

I'm trying to get the sessions written to /var/log/wtmp with no luck. I
have read the sessreg manpage and added the appropriate scripts to
/etc/opt/gnome/gdm/Presession/ and /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/Postsession/.
However, none of the X users show up when I do: w. So, what have I
missed? How do I get GDM to log the sessions so that I can see them with
w/who? I need logging to wtmp so that I can run idled. thanks for any
and all clues.

geoffrey
--
this space intentionally left blank