Re: gdm config problem (I think)

> I put X 4.2 on my Slackware and it seemed to get X working.
>
> I don't know if that is the reason why gdm and kdm
> ALWAYS load twm no matter what I choose from menu!!!
> I chose GNOME lots of times and I always get twm!!!
>
> There is no .xsession, .xinitrc or any other .x* files
> in my home directory except .Xauthority.
>
> STARTX **CAN** load GNOME FINE!!!!
>
> Please tell me how to debug gdm/kdm so that I can
> use them instead of doing startx all the time.

   I don't use Linux, kdm, or gdm, but I have a hunch you might want to
investigate if you haven't yet found the solution.
   I ran into the same trouble on my FreeBSD system when setting up wdm,
which has a wm-chooser.  I, too, kept getting twm upon login and I found the
problem in the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/wdm/Xclients.  Therein, as installed, the pathnames for
most of the window-manager executables were wrong.  Xclients contained code
that reliably (miraculously? ;-) ) called twm when the other wm's weren't
found.  When I corrected the pathnames -- Voila!  All the other installed
wm's worked.
   Btw, I also had to edit the wdm-config file, in the same directory, so
that it properly reflected the window managers that I actually have
installed on my machine.  (These, in wdm-config, are the values that wdm
uses for the selection-list that it presents in the login window.)
   Perhaps kdm and/or gdm has a similar config scheme...
   Hth...
Bob