Re: configurablity in gnome2 seems to of vanished

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 14:28, Mark Cooke wrote:
> Or is it just me?
>
> Since installing Gnome2 and playing with it, it seems a lot of the
> configuration options that was standard in gnome 1.4 have now all gone
> or are still there, but missing _IMO_ a lot of the old options that was
> present in gnome 1.4

yes alot of preferences have been removed, in favor of making gnome easy
to use. The old control-center was a mess and very hard to use even for
alot of advance users.

> 1. For example in sawfish I can no longer find an entry in the sawfish
> menu to allow me to 'automatically remember window sizes' ( I love this
> as I only have a poxy 14" monitor that can do a max of 1024x768 and
> opening a nautilus window nearly takes up the full screen, so in G1.4 i
> used to shrink it down and lower the icons percentage and get sawfish to
> remember the window dimensions, alas no more in G2.

I think this is one of those things that should just work. I can't
comment specifically on sawfish, since i don't use it. Basically i'm
saying there shouldnt' need to be a pref.

> 2. I cannot find any way to alter what appears in the gnome menu, if you
> click 'panel' in some of the old options are there, but as I mentioned
> above most are now gone.

by gnome menu do you mean the gnome-menu applet. If so it still
configurable. The applications menu can be edited through the nautilus
applications:// uri, but this is still somewhat broken currently

> 3. The applets are not in their own menu any more, unlike G1.4 (this is
> more down to what i like than anything else)

This was intentional too many submenus makes them hard to use. We also
have removed almost all usage of the term applet in our ui. right click
on a panel => add to panel is much easier.

dave