Desktop icons move behind panel (regression)

Hello,
I know for sure that my desktop icons did _not_ move behind panels at
first. This all changed someday. Now icons are placed behind panels all
the time. The only thing I did that could have something to do with it
is that I started KDE 3.1 alpha, when ~/Desktop was a symlink to
~/.gnome-desktop, so KDE used my Gnome desktop. But after this I already
deleted my .gnome-destop folder with no success. Is there any way to
restore this functionality? It's really bad now because I can't use
"clean up by name" anymore.
Appreciate any help...

Daniel