UNC file reference

I have a question.  I've looked through help and online but have seen no
answer.  Perhaps someone here can help.

I just recently moved entirely to linux at home (3 new linux boxen coverted
to the cause), but my wife is still on Windows as is my MP3 server becuase
it uses dell software (windows only) that serves up mp3s to the Dell Digital
Audio Reciever downstairs.  Until now, I used a common set of playlists with
UNC file references so that any system could play them.  Sadly that doesn't
work in linux.  :(

Is there a way to refer to an smb share that is recognized by both Linux and
Windows?  In Windows I'd use a UNC like so:

\\MyDomain\MyServer\MyFile.doc

Which I can type in any file dialog box or in windows explorer or wherever
and have it resolve to a file.  In Linux, a UNC works when I map a share
(C.f., /etc/fstab or the mount command for examples of its use) but I can't
use that in a file dialog box to refer to a file.  In a file dialog box,
apparently I can only reference a mounted file.  Therefore, I cannot make an
mp3 playlist, store it on my mp3 server and open it from any other system
and have it work.  To work in Gnome, it has to refer to the linux mount (in
my case /network/mp3) because it cannot resolve a UNC (in my case
\\tinuviel\mp3storage).  Any ideas for a solution to this one?

Any help is appreciated.  I wasn't sure if this was a Gnome-specific issue
or not, so forgive me if it's off-topic.  I don't know what object in Linux
actually parses the file reference in a gui dialog box.  Is that a Gnome
component or is that trask farmed out to a comand line object?

-Tom Caudron