Crashes using canvas

1.  I'm using glade to build my gui and am using gnome to create a
canvas with a hierarchical diagram of our software items (similar to an
organization chart).  I can draw the rectangles with the names inside.
However, if I move my mouse over one of the rectangles, it crashes.
I've even tried this using the examples in Peter Wright's GTK+/Gnome
Programming and receive a crash. I have tried the example for drawing
lines and that crashes upon bringing up the window.  Since the user
cannot modify anything, what is the best way to keep this from
happening?

In case this helps, I'm using libglade-0.15, gnome-libs-1.2.8,
gtk+-1.2.8, imlib-1.9.8.1.  I'm also using dtwm window manager on SunOS
5.7, solaris 2.7.  Actually we're compiling and testing on 5.5, solaris
2.3.

2.  For fonts, I'm doing the following line in hopes to provide some
flexibility to the user in the future.

GdkFont   *userFont
userFont =
gdk_font_load("-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-m-60-iso8859-1");

and within gnome_canvas_item_new I have as one of the parameters
"fonts", userFont

but this doesn't work.  Instead, I have to do
"fonts", "-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-m-60-iso8859-1"

Why doesn't the userFont work?

3.  Is there a way to find out what the patches are for gnome and
what they fix?  I've looked several places but cannot easily find this
info.
--
June Thalacker, 972-519-3102       Email: jthalack ssd usa alcatel com
or