gnome launch problem

I am using Mac OSX and have installed gnome through the gnu-darwin one step installer as detailed on the site (www.gnu-darwin.com). I am launching gnome using the 'exec gnome-session7 in my .xinitrc file. When I launch it the first time, it activate my X window manager, enlightenment and puts the gnome menus (top bar and lower bar). The icons however appear as black squares (problem #1). When I close everything and relaunch everything, this time I only see the gnome hint window but none of the bars ever appear (problem #2).

Do you have any idea what is causing this? To solve problem #1, I re-installed libpng through Fink but it did not help.

Thanks.