Problems with GNOME 2.0 libraries

I'm experiencing a very weird problem with libraries.
When I compile a program linked to libgnomeui-2.0, it tells me it can't
find libpangoft2-0.23.so:
./test: error while loading shared libraries: libpangoft2-0.23.so:
I don't have libpangoft2-0.23.so, but I do have libpangoft2-0.26.so.
This is very strange, because only libpangoft2-0,26.so was present on my
system when I compiled that program.
Yes, I did ldconfig before linking, but that didn't help.

The program I compiled is 'empty':
int main()
{return 0;}
All I did was
gcc test.c -o test `pkg-config --libs libgnomeui-2.0`

But what makes the problem even more strange is that I don't get an
error when I run the program like this:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gnome2/lib ./test
I've attached the output of 'ldd test' as ldd.txt.gz, and the output of
'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gnome2/lib ldd test' in ldd2.txt.gz
In ldd.txt.gz, you see things like "libpangoxft-0.23.so => not found"
But in ldd2.txt.gz, all those messages are suddenly gone.
No trace whatsoever of 'libpangoxft-0.23.so'

I did 'grep pangoft2-0.23 * -r' in /opt/gnome2, with no results.

My previous GNOME 2.0 installation was installed in /opt/gnome2.
I didn't have this problem with the previous release.

I removed that directory with rm -Rf /opt/gnome2
Then I've installed the following tarballs from GNOME 2.0 Beta 1 in the
following order:
pkg-config (0.11)
glib   (1.3.15)
atk    (0.13)
pango  (0.26)
gtk+   (1.3.15)

gnome-common
gnome-mime-data
audiofile
esound

libglade
libIDL
linc
ORBit2
libxml
GConf
bonobo-activation
libbonobo
gnome-vfs
libgnome
libart_lgpl
libgnomeprint
libgnomecanvas
libbonoboui
libgnomeprintui
libgnomeui

They are all configured & installed with:
./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome2 --enable-static=no
make install-strip

In case anybody wants to know what's in /opt/gnome2, the output of 'find
/opt/gnome2' is included in the attachment dirlist.txt.gz