Local networking bug(s)

   For those who didn't already -- and/or don't want to -- read the
preceding message, below, here's the condensed version:
   I configured my FBSD 4.4 box for networking on Feb. 1 and it
worked fine for about 1 1/2 weeks.  Then, it suddenly started
freezing -- totally unresponsive to keyboard, mouse, and remote
logins -- at any sort of simple network request.  If I tried to
telnet to or ping another server, it would lock up tight.  If I tried
to ping it or log into it from another server, it would lock up tight.
  I can think of nothing that I did to my network configuration to
make this happen.
   Late last night, bleary-eyed and about ready to call it quits
while Googling just one more time for an answer, I found an old
thread that looked promising.  (I was too tired to remember to
bookmark it and now I can't find the magic combination of search
words to find it, again! :-< )  Anyway, the gist of it was that one
message in the thread came from a user who had run Gnome (as I am) on
top of FBSD and had problems with his box freezing like mine.  Btw, I
am also using the Sawfish wm.
   Unfortunately, I was too tired to think through a test scenario
that might yield some useful results.  I was, however, awake and
weary of the frustration of not being able to network for no apparent
reason.  So, I renamed my rc.local file (which I use to start wdm and
nothing else, by the way) and reboted my box.  My networking
immediately came back to life.
   Here's the punchline: now, with my rc.local back in place, wdm and
Gnome are running and I can rlogin back and forth, ping endlessly and
have a veritable ethernet party and nothing seems to faze this box.
   Before last night (for a couple of days), I did many reboots
(because I _had_ to) when I couldn't ping this machine.  With each
boot, nothing changed as long as rc.local was in place, wdm started
after booting, and I logged into a Gnome/Sawfish session.  Yet as
soon as I took wdm, Gnome, and Sawfish out of the picture -- the
networking came back.  This morning, I added them back in, one at a
time, logged my process list as well as the contents of my /etc
directory with each step in the hope of finding the offending process
-- but now everything is back online and the networking is fine...
Go figure.
   Well, if it happened before, it may happen again.  If it does,
I'll try to take on piece out of play at a time to see if I can find
the offender that way.  Otherwise, if anyone knows what the problem
is and/or knows what the preventive fix is, I'd love to hear from
you.  I will post this to the gnome-list as well as the
freebsd-questions list in the hope of finding an answer and will also
cross-post the answer, should one be posted to just one of these
lists.
Thanks,
Bob

--
"Your body makes saturated fats, and your body makes
cholesterol-about 2000 mg per day. In general, cholesterol that the