GNOME Summary for 2002-01-20 - 2002-02-02

This is the GNOME Summary for 2002-01-20 - 2002-02-02

Table of Contents

1. GUADEC III
2. GNOME 1.4.1 RC1
3. GNOME 2.0 Alpha 2 was announced.
4. GARNOME
5. GEGL invaders
6. Miguel on GNOME and Mono
7. Evolution 1.0.2
8. LinuxOrbit:Galeon: Speeding up Mozilla and more for GNOME users
9. GStreamer pioneering new land
10. Native widgets now available in Mozilla
11. Translated GNOME summaries
12. Hacker Activity
13. New and Updated Software

1. GUADEC III

GUADEC III was officially announced to the world this week.  GUADEC is
an annual event for users and developers of GNOME to get together and
discuss what is happening with the desktop.  This year it is being held
in Seville Spain between April 4th and Apil 6th - that is just over 2
months away.  My experience of GUADEC has been that it is always great
fun, you get to meet lots of hackers you didn't know and it's the
fastest way to really understand what is going on - not to be missed!
For more information see this announcement that was sent out.

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2002-January/msg00055.html

2. GNOME 1.4.1 RC1

Just when you thought all attention was on the GNOME 2.0 plattform, we
keep coming back to suprise you. The GNOME 1.4.1 RC1 is the latest
version of the stable series of the desktop.  Kjartan Maraas has put
some fine work into this release making sure that all the latest
bugfixes and optimisations are included - including the famous
transluscent panel.  The really important effect of this release is that
GNOME 2.0 and this release can be installed in parallel.  Finally rumour
has it that Evolution will also be included in the new Fifth Toe
packages.

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2002-February/msg00008.html

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2002-February/msg00008.html

3. GNOME 2.0 Alpha 2 was announced.

Jeff Waugh announced the latest alpha and there's lots of traffic across
the lists as hackers hunt those bugs.  Lots of work seems to be going
into porting applications across with plenty still to be done but
progress seems to be quite fast.  For those on Solaris Peter Lazlo
announced that he has made packages available for the recent Alpha 1
release.  Igor Popik emailed into the desktop devel list to tell of
slackware packages for the GNOME 2.0 Alpha 2 release.  So nows the time
to try them all out!

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2002-January/msg00061.html

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-February/msg00070.html

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-January/msg00305.html

4. GARNOME

Jeff Waugh in a fit of hyperactiveness also released his build of GNOME
Alpha 2.  This distribution is based on the GAR build system which will
build from source the entire GNOME setup.  If you'd like to have a go
with the new desktop and want the most optimised build possible without
the hassle of CVS then this could be just the thing for you.

        http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/

5. GEGL invaders

There has been rumours flying in the GNOME community lately about a game
that will change the way you think of your desktop forever. Up
to this point this game has been considered just another Urban Legend by
the summary editors, but no more.  We recieved the following screenshot
showing this game called GEGL invaders in action from
an anonymous source. Beware, just seeing the screenshot can
have lasting effects on your psyche.

        http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/images/iain-desktop.png

6. Miguel on GNOME and Mono

This recent interview by Miguel has generated some hysteria.
I was planning to write a little something here in the summary
to calm those who wonder if GNOME will switch from C to C# tommorow or
similar nonsense, but I think this quote from veteran GNOME hacker
Elliot Lee, as he reponds to a question what the GNOME developers thinks
of the interview sums it up in a nice way:

 It really isn't any more relevant what the GNOME developers think than
what Miguel thinks - when the stuff is finished, people will
make their individual choices to use or not to use it. Until then, all
this speculation and dirt digging just turns the open source
development process into a soap opera...

So with those words of wisdom in mind here is the link to the now famed
interview and also a link to a statement from Havoc Pennington that
clarifies some of the issues being fabled about.

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2002-February/msg00028.html

7. Evolution 1.0.2

As you might have seen this week some biologists thinks we have reached
the end stop of Evolution. Well the Evolution Groupware team made a new
release this week to prove them wrong. This was mainly a bugfix release,
so even if no more bugs are fixed in humanity the same is not true for
our favourite mailer at least.

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2002-February/msg00002.html

8. LinuxOrbit:Galeon: Speeding up Mozilla and more for GNOME users

In the never ending series called 'we love Galeon' LinuxOrbit this week
chimes in with their take.on the worlds most loved browser. I think we
can call the browser wars over and declare Pax Galeon.

http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=sho
wcontent&id=1

9. GStreamer pioneering new land

When Wim Taymans of GStreamer heard that there would be no mention of
GStreamer in this weeks Summary he almost panicked. To calm him down I
said that if he did something really cool I would reconsider and mention
GStreamer. So in order to make sure GStreamer got 15 minutes of fame
this week too Wim Taymans added plugins for Ogg Tarkin encoding and
decoding to GStreamer. This means that GStreamer can now be used to
create and view videos using this new and experimental video format from
the people who brought us Ogg Vorbis. Fantastic work as always Wim.

        http://www.gstreamer.net

10. Native widgets now available in Mozilla

With the classic theme in Mozilla, native widgets are now available.
This means that if you where unhappy with the mozilla look scrollbars in
Galeon those days are now over. Anders Carlson provided us with this
beatiful screenshot of Mozilla using a outstanding GTK+ theme.

        http://hadjaha.gimp.org/~andersca/pics/mozilla.png

11. Translated GNOME summaries

As always we have translations of the GNOME summaries available. So
linked below are French translation, Spanish translation and Hungarian
translation. If there are other translations available please let us
know.

        http://www.gynov.org/news/index.php4
        http://es.gnome.org/actualidad/
        http://cactus.rulez.org/projects/gnome/summary/

12. Hacker Activity

Thanks for Paul Warren for these lists.

Most active modules:
 109 gtk+
 78 gnumeric
 72 galeon
 71 evolution
 64 gnome-applets
 55 gnome-core
 55 gnome-control-center
 43 gnome-utils
 42 gnucash
 40 gimp
 38 dia
 36 nautilus
 35 gnome-vfs
 35 anjuta
 34 web-devel-2
 31 bugzilla
 24 SashXB
 24 gdm2
 23 gnome-i18n
 23 yelp
[133 active modules omitted]

Most active hackers:
 110 kmaraas
 97 menthos
 81 seth
 58 owen
 47 redfox
 45 rmo
 38 stano
 37 peticolas (gnucash)
 36 olau
 36 bansz
 34 darin
 33 jody
 29 andersca
 29 chyla
 29 dnloreto
 26 lark
 26 kevinv
 26 jdub
 25 cactus
 22 michael
[141 active hackers omitted]

13. New and Updated Software

File Roller  - Wonderful Archive manager.
gob  - Object Builder, a preprocessor for making GTK+ objects easily.
Pan  - Newsreader, loosely based on Agent and Gravity
Gnumeric  - Worlds best Spreadsheet
gsysinfo  - system monitor for the gnome panel
gMaze  - A board-game. Solve the maze
gnomeradio  - Radio Tuner program
gmmusic  - Music collection database, based on PostgreSQL.
gnome-mlview  - A tree oriented xml editor for gnome.
gdkxft  - Anti-aliased fonts to the gnome desktop
GdEditor  - Multidocument text editor with CORBA
GnoDarwin  - Case tool for Software Architecture
MrProjext  - MrProject-Databasefile-Extractor and -Converter
Aricalc  - Simple calculator
gramps  - GRAMPS is a genealogy program.
Gnome Toaster  - CD creation suite
pyFind  - Simple Find File utility
BitLeaf  - Developer IDE
Coriander  - GUI for IIDC compliant, IEEE1394 Digital Camera.
gnome-db  - Database access for GNOME applications
Rubrica  - Rubrica is an addressbook
GCronTime  - Program for the management of planned operations.
GPMM  - Connect your Portable Mp3 Player (usb storage device class only)
BEAST/BSE  - Framework for all sorts of music composition, sequencing
and synthesis tasks.
Guppi  - Guppi is a plot program.
MrProject  - Project management program that can help with building
project plans
solfege  - GNU Solfege is an eartraining program
XFce  - Lightweight desktop environment for various UNIX systems
GNOME Workstation Command Center  - GWCC allows users to execute network
utilities
gnocl  - gnocl is a Tcl extension
Balsa  - Email client
GNOME Peg Solitaire  - Peg Solitaire is a puzzle game
Pybliographer  - Tool for manipulating bibliographic databases.
The Sushi Project  - Play a pen-and-paper game across the Internet.

For more information on these packages visit the GNOME Software map:
http://www.gnome.org/applist/listrecent.php3

Here we are again with a weekly GNOME summary. We missed last week but
what is a week compared to the age of the universe anyway. For those who
wonder the CVS statistics are for the period of 26th of January to 2nd
of February.As always please send us stories for the summaries (this
especially includes the Gnome-db and Gnucash teams :)

Christian and Steve
gnome-summary gnome org