Re: GNOME won't read my $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The Window Manager is unable to find them.

e.g.
1) I'd compiled the new version of GAIM, 0.51. Without
the --prefix it's installed into /usr/local/bin.
Needless to say there was no reference to it in any of
the menu items. Once I'd modified the gaim.desktop's
TryExec field with a full path, /usr/local/bin/gaim,
it showed up and worked just fine.

2) Similar situation with Rust (RPM packaging
software). This time I had compiled it with
--prefix=/opt/gnome. This time the entry to Rust
showed up as one of the menu items, but the it
wouldn't run. Oddly enough, it worked if I would
launch it from one of the open terminals. I started to
dig further into it. I'd opened a new gnome-terminal
and tried to launch the executable from the command
prompt. This time I got an error message back that
libstdc++.so was missing. Further digging, I'd found
that this lib resides in /usr/local/lib. Upon checking
the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in the newly opened term, I
found that the only path defined was /opt/gnome/lib,
eventhought as stated earlier my ${HOME}./bash_profile
has additional library PATH's in it. Once I'd sourced
the bash_profile, and re-executed Rust, it came up
without any problems. I then soft linked
/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so to /opt/gnome/lib, and the
menu item worked too.

This is how I came to my conclussions.

Thanks for you response
Gary