GNOME won't read my $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

  I'm new to the world of GNOME. I've recently decided
to install a copy of Ximian's GNOME distro for Solaris
8 on SPARC. I have two very enoying problems:

1) I'm noticing that bin's and lib's installed outside
of /opt/gnome path's are not being found. I have my
paths setup as following in ${HOME}/.bash_profile

2) I keep getting this enoying message when I launch
commands from the prompt eventhough the command
completes succefully

$ gedit
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Does any one know why I'm havving these problems, and
how do I get around them?

Thanks in advance

Do You Yahoo!?