Alternative Gnome.

I know that the Ximian alternative to the "native" Gnome is still available,
but I remember that some time ago there was another alternative.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the person who was responsible for
it, or how long ago it was. I have looked in the list archives, but can't
find anything about it. All I remember was that it was "cutting edge", and
one downloaded and installed the source files. There were some very good
reports of this version.

Sorry to be so vague.

Can anyone guess who I am referring to?  Is these alternatives still
available; if so where can I find out about them?

The jackpot question is:-

If there is a Gnome2 version available, is it any good and how does it compare
with the standard Gnome2?

Many thanks.

Keith