Dire straits with Gnome

Over the last few days I have successfully upgraded my Gnome desktop via
ximian redcarpet. This seemed to go well - although I do not often shut
down gnome. Yesterday I downloaded some updates for Redhat also via
redcarpet. These included ssl stuff and rpm upgrades too. During the
upgrade process it said something to the effect that it was removing a
database of some sort. I took this to refer to the RPM database since.

Anyway since upgrading last night Gnome will not start. X is fine, the
error message I get is..

gnome-session: error while loading shared libraries libdb.so.2 cannot
open shared object file. No such file or directory.

Anyone know what has happened and what I can do to get my Gnome desktop
back?

X does work since I can run other window managers.

Help