Re: Gobe Productive goes GPL and GNOME!

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 09:22, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> The main difference was the full editing features available for the Office
> labels, compared to the minimalist features in glabels.  When a user can
> trivially use AbiWord to edit the content of a glabel, then Gnome will have
> truly obsoleted the Office suite.

Or, more accurately, GNOME will just have it's own Office suite.
MicrosoftOffice plugs into Windows the same way GNOME Office is supposed
to plug into GNOME; MSO can make use of a number of system components,
including 3rd party extensions and such, because it's based on the
standard technologies Windows is built with (i.e., COM).

I do agree that trying to say OpenOffice.org is the future of the
Linux/UNIX office suite is a bit depressing, and hopefully not true.
Honestly, the only thing actually *nice* about OOo versus other complete
offices under Linux/UNIX is the quality of the MS file format filters.
Abiword/GNUmeric rip those out, and finish up the bonobo embedding and
some other specific features, we'd be set.  ^,^