Re: Gnome2 fatal error

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 09:07, Keith Powell wrote:
> I have installed Gnome2  into SuSE8, using the SuSE apt-get application. It
> downloaded and installed with no error messages, but won't run.
>
> On starting, it loads and then I get the error message:
>
> Application "gnome-settings-daemon" (process 993) has crashed due to a fatal
> error (segmentation fault).

Can you file a bug report about this? (You should get prompted to file a
bug report when this crash occurs.)

> No folders will open, nor will the desktop shortcuts run. There are only a
> very few applications listed in the main Gnome menu (all the main ones are
> missing), and the "SuSE applications" sub-menu is empty.

That's not a suprise given something important crashed at startup.

> Any ideas as to what can have happened, please, and how I can get Gnome2 to
> run?
>
> Gnome1.4 runs OK. I just added "gnome2" as a new session.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Keith

Without more information, the best I can say is make sure you have the
latest packages, and file a bug report.

If you can get a stack trace of the crash (which bug-buddy should get
for you) that could be helpful.

--Ben