gnome-terminal ignores --geometry ??

I've been trying to get gnome-terminal 1.4.0.4 to start up in a
specified location onscreen. Using :

	gnome-terminal --geometry=80x40+0+0

the terminal still shows up wherever it pleases. Each invocation steps
down and to the right, as you'd expect. However, shouldn't geometry
specifications override the window manager's placement of it? This
happens consistently (inconsistent :) whether I'm running Gnome, KDE or
FVWM2.

Using :

	gnome-terminal --geometry=80x40-5-5

should start it up with if off the edge of the screen top and left by 5
pixels, right? Well, it doesn't.

Any ideas?

|  Len Philpot       ><>         http://philpot.org/  |
|  len philpot org     len_philpot hotmail com (alt)  |