strange problem

Hi,

I got a strange behavior with gnome interface.

We have a PC with redhat 6.2. It's connected to a Sun server (under
Solaris8) via NIS and NFS mounts.
User accounts are mounted from this server.
Users use gnome and ksh.

Recently, user accounts were moved from a directory to a new one. So user
path changed under nis password map.

Since this change, all accounts are unable to use correctly gnome because
they have lost the toolbar at bottom of the screen.

What we have done.

- We have recreated a same user login account with its content, locally
(local passwd) -->same problem
- We have changed it  with a login  bash shell --> same problem
- We have emptied its content ( even gnome directories) -->same problem
- We have changed username and kept the contents -->it works!!

Seems like some historical parameters, like old paths, are kept somewhere in
gnome config.
But where ?

I noticed a corefile from gmc, even when the user directory was created from
an initial empty directory.

No problem with kde.

Thanks in advance.

Fabien