Re: Gnome-Libs

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 08:38:38AM -0400, war wrote:

> When I compile & install any gnome-libs (newer than what I have) and
> install somewhere besides /usr, panel always crashes?

it depends....   ;-)  not here.
There needs to be some consistency in the prefix where you install your
gnome-environment to.

E.g., we here at ours maintain our gnome-installation under
	/opt/gnome   (which was the place SuSE put it sometime ago)
so we give !all! things related to gnome the
"--prefix=/opt/gnome" - option at configuration-time. This is not
nescessary, but keeps things in one place and adds the benefit
to need only one new library-path....

> Nothing in Gnome seems to work if its not where it *expects* it to be
> (ie: /usr)

	are you sure you put each of the below-mentioned

		<dir-you-installed-to>/lib

in ld.so.conf (linux-specific)
or set you LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include them ?

> I got gnome-print to compile and install, pkg-config as well, yet
> pkg-config has no idea where gnome-print is.

	should it ?  ;-)

Be sure to follow the steps of installation, make sure the config-scripts
in <dir-you-installed-to>/bin are found at configure-time
(if you "roll your own" rpms, they're in the devel-packages)....

		Then it should ...

We avoid the hassle to add a-zillion-and-five dirs to PATH and LD_*
variables by putting it all to /opt/gnome.
The default puts it all into the system (/usr), which is OK if
	a) you only use RPMs  or
	b) you only use stable softs..
Both of it doesn't nescessarily apply here, so we're quite happy with
having it under /opt/gnome.

	[..thousadnandfivelinescompilercrufterased...]

> I have all the required libs:

	[...dirs snipped ..]

it's just my opinion, but ... this looks kinda funny...
you did a "make install" to produce this structure at anytime ?
	( I know it's a dumb question, but look....
  how else did you get this ? by specifying --prefix=/app/<name>
  to every package ?)
If you really did installs resulting in this structure, you should.. well
think it over...
It looks unnescessarily complicated and above that, it's not functioning
for you.

> Not to portable is it?  :(.

	Don't give up. It's just a matter of trying.. ;-)
		greets, drifter
--
drifter outerlounge de