Re: Question about gnome-config.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 10:32:12PM -0400, war wrote:
> Why do most programs use gnome-config to find specific libraries and
> include files?
>
> Considering most of the libraries have their own [program]-config
> scripts?

But not all. :)

> I find that a lot of scripts need to be altered for the program-config
> --libs etc and not gnome-config because gnome-config doesn't contain the
> entry.
>
> Just curious why things are done this way.

Lack of an overall clear picture in the early days, partly. Usually,
however, gnome-config does the Right Thing(tm), since it was not always
guaranteed that something required will have a foo-config app available.
And calling one script is easier than calling six.

For GNOME 2.0, all will be better, since we are using pkg-config, which
is a single program that reads a common format file containing the
dependencies and include and lib dirs for all the participating
libraries (which should be everything).

Malcolm

--
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."