Re: Floppy disk access in Gnome - followup.

On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 15:33, George Farris wrote:
> Who boy Sean you sure do get pissed:-)  Relax man.  Everybody does grasp

Aye, long day.  Sorry.  ^,^

> that the problem is with the kernel/OS.  Grasped it many years ago and
> this subject has come up over and over and over and nothing ever gets
> resolved.  The only people that suffer are the users that aren't main
> stream users.

Hey, it annoys me, too.  Trust me.

> Supermount has been hacked on for years, very slowly and it still has
> major problems.  If you don't believe me ask Linus.

I know.  I've used supermount.  Of the three kernel crashes I've had in
as many years (not counting the laptop, that's another story
altogether...) two were from supermount.

> So far there are three ideas put forth:
> 1 - Fix supermount and get it in the kernel.
> 2 - Hack GTK/GNOME and use something like libmtools as a plugin.
> 3 - Volumagic, a user space tool.
>
> There is nothing wrong with exploring them all.  Nobody is demanding
> that it be put in GNOME or else.

^,^  Alrighty.  Again, I really don't see any purpose in exploring #2.
It will be a solution, but #1 and #3 would likely be better solution if
completed.

Personally, I'm not too fond of the Volumagic idea, but it's fairly
similar to an automounting daemon.  Beats the current setup, and seems
to be slightly more stable that current fixes.  Floppies and syncing
would still be a prob, tho.