Gnome/Solaris 8 sparc dt login problems

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed the Gnome v1.4 package from Sun and it seems to have installed OK. However, whenever I log in as myself (NIS login) everything seems to be going OK, but then I'm dumped back at the dt login screen. If I log in as root then it works fine, which initially made me think it was a permissioning problem, except people where I work are having the same problem but they cannot even get it to work as root.

A CDE sessions as myself works OK.

In my ~/home/.dt/startlog I get:

--- Tue Oct 30 14:11:13 GMT 2001
--- /usr/dt/bin/Xsession starting...
--- Xsession started by Xsession
--- setting font path...
/usr/openwin/bin/xset:  bad font path element (#41), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions (it does and the perms seem fine)
   Directory missing fonts.dir
   Incorrect font server address or syntax
--- starting /usr/dt/bin/dtsession_res -load -system
/usr/dt/bin/ttsession[7567]: starting
/usr/dt/bin/Xsession[748]: 7533 Hangup
XIO: fatal IO error 131 (Connection reset by peer) on X server "172.16.99.128:0.0"

Has anyone else had this problem? Also, does Gnome have a log file/debugging option that I can check.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if this question has been asked before (I did search the FAQ, Archives, Google etc).

Colin

Unix Sys Admin