bobobo-moniker-archiver / background-properties-capplet seg faults

Hello,
I clearly have messed something up, however it was quite a while ago and
the trail is cold. So I could really use some help with where to start
looking, or what course of action to take.

Whenever I log in and start up Gnome I get a seg fault in
bobobo-moniker-archiver followed by one in
background-properties-capplet. Further when I open the control panel and
select background it seg faults in  bobobo-moniker-archiver and then
says "cannot load your configuration settings" which, incidently, it
reports for any of the selections.

control-center-1.5.7-ximian.1 (through Red Carpet)
RH 7.1
2.4.9-6
i686

If there is a more appropriate list to inquire on I would greatly
appreciate a pointer.

Thank you,
Elijah Meeker