Re: how do i kill gmc?

sounds like gmc is set to respawn.

when gmc is running from the gnome panel select
'Programs:Settings:Session:Session Properties & Startup Programs'. Click on the
Startup PRograms tab and click the 'Browse Currently Running Programs' button.
highlight gmc this will be set to 'Respawn'. Change this to 'Normal' and then
kill gmc - it won't restart.

cheers
Shane