Re: keycodes above 128 in GNOME?

Chris Doyle <xanic xanthor net> writes:
> Hello. I recently bought a M$ internet keyboard pro. (no flames, thanks.)
>
> My coworker owns a M$ natural keyboard, and he has been able to bind
> the "extra" keys (back,forward,stop,refresh,etc.) to things in gnome. I
> was wondering what parts of gnome I need in order for this to work. I just
> use Enlightenment, now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GNOME isn't really the layer want here; it's all going to happen on
the X level. Your goal is to make these keycodes generate
keysyms. If it isn't working by default, this is traditionally done
with the xmodmap tool, and more recently 'xkbcomp' also works, though
both are pretty appalling to figure out. The xkeycaps program may help
a bit with getting xmodmap to work. The man pages for these things do
have some information.

Before fooling with that, see if you already do get keysyms from these
keys - "xev" is a good tool for seeing what syms a key generates.

Once you get keysyms, you would set up keybindings in GNOME as for any
other key, in the control center.

Havoc