Try these ones:
http://www.rcsnet.net/pub/Gnome/gnome-1.4.1+/SRPMS/ORBit-0.5.12-gnome141.src.rpm
http://www.rcsnet.net/pub/Gnome/gnome-1.4.1+/RPMS/i686/ORBit-0.5.12-gnome141.i686.rpm
http://www.rcsnet.net/pub/Gnome/gnome-1.4.1+/RPMS/i686/ORBit-devel-0.5.12-gnome141.i686.rpm

perhaps they will fix your problems ...
good luck

Ruben Safir wrote:

Hello:

I have a SuSe base linux box which I've upgraded over time and it no longer
installs Xiamen from the go scripts.  So I relutently have decided to
install gnome by hand using RPM's on the tar.gz tar balls.  It's been a
problem. Right now ORBit will compile with make install, but not with RPM
-ta .  It complains about a popt.tar.gz file being missing.  I searched the
mail list, and found I could get rid of the popt.spec file (and so I did). But then RPM -ta complained about a missing libIDL.tar.gz file. So I
removed THAT spec file and retared the source code.  Now it fails to
compile because of this message:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce  -o
orbit-idl  orbit-idl-main.o orbit-idl-driver.o orbit-idl-backends.o
orbit-idl-passes.o orbit-idl-genmarshal.o orbit-idl-utils.o
backends/c/liborbit-c-backend.a ../../libIDL/libIDL.la ../../popt/libpopt.la -L/usr/lib -lglib -L/usr/lib -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lm libtool: ltconfig version `' does not match ltmain.sh version `1.3.4'
Fatal configuration error.  See the libtool docs for more information.
make[4]: *** [orbit-idl] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/ORBit-0.5.12/src/orbit-idl-compiler'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/ORBit-0.5.12/src/orbit-idl-compiler'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/ORBit-0.5.12/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/ORBit-0.5.12'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Does anyone have a working ORBit tarball?

It just shouldn't be this hard to install gnome.  It's very fustrating and
I really don't know who to talk about this with on the gnome-development
side.  This is getting harder and harder to do with every passing year.  I
went from SuSe 6.4, up to now 7.2 through upgrades, and have troubles with
gnome on SuSe, and Slackware.  The Helix stuff completely fails on all SUSe
7.0 series I've seen (which is many).  On the ftp site, many of the LATEST
packages are miss labled.  It never compiles by hand any longer.

Thanks for your time.

Ruben

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting