Re: File associations

On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 19:07, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 10:34, Jim George wrote:
> > Can someone tell me how to associate zip, tgz, zoo, bzip2 and other file
> > types in Nautilus so that I can view the contents of the file, and or
> > extract them from there?
> >

> In the control center, under Document Handlers -> File Types and
> Programs.
>
> But I must say that this is one of the reasons I don't bother with
> nautilus.  Try adding a new text editor for example, you need to add it
> to every text/* mime type in the list, why is there not a separate place
> to edit viewers and editors, so that I cna remove a whole heap, and
> leave my preferred text editor as the default for all text types etc
> etc?
>
> --

<snip>

thanks for that Rob but my problem, which I didn't make clear, is that I
can't display the contents of these types of programs using something
like 'unzip -l' as the output flashes past in an xterm and  then
closes.  I tried prefixing the command with 'xterm -e' but this made no
difference.  I then tried suffixing the command with '| more' but the
output gets mangled.

Does anyone have an idea for this?

Jim