Re: Netscape Mozilla and Gnome

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 11:10:53AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Gnome folks,
>
> I am a Red Hat 7.1 user.  I am currently using Netscape 4.72 which is OK,
> but the fonts and text look poor.  I tried to fix this by putting in
> Microsofts fonts.  This has made a little difference but my browser in
> Windows looks much nicer....  Tsk.  I have been told that the latest
> Netscape (6.1 or whatever) looks nicer. I discover that I also have mozilla
> on my machine although I have never used it.
> I have a CD with the latest Netscape and Mozilla versions on it.
> If I install the software for e.g. Netscape, how do I unhook the old
> Netscape from gnome ie., the little icon and stick the new on in its place?
> Will the installation automatically do that?

Well, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean.  If you're
installing from RPM's, just do a rpm -Uvh programname.rpm and it will
perform an upgrade.  The Netscape icon on the panel and Gnome Menu's
will still work.  Read the chapters, 'Package Management with RPM' and
'Gnome-RPM' in the Red Hat Customization Guide.

> Supposing I wanted to install the latest mozilla aswell and I want to be
> able to have the option of firing it up too from the gnome panel how do I do
> that?

Find Mozilla on the Programs menu.  Right click it.  Select 'Add this
launcher to Panel'.  I'd suggest reading Chapter 2 (The Gnome Desktop
Environment) of the Red Hat Getting Started Guide because this sort of
thing is covered there.  It's basic Gnome stuff.

The guides I mention are on your Documentation CD, at the Red Hat site,
or with your boxed edition of Red Hat (if you got it from a retailer).

> Some people think that Opera looks even better than Mozilla, which people
> think is somewhat better than Netscape.  The only problem with Opera is that
> its fonts are poor for printing purposes.
>
> Comments on the above and trying to have a nicer looking browser output than
> Windows under Linux..

Don't know about Windows.  I haven't used it for a while.  AFAIC, Galeon
is the best browser for the Gnome environment, although of course,
suggesting one browser is better than another is highly political and
will cause some people to topple off their commodes with rage. ;)

Galeon, if you're interested is wrapped around Mozilla but is a *lot*
lighter.  It also has some great features.  The ability to open pop-ups
in a 'tab' (leaving it in the background) or even prevent them from
opening at all, etc., etc.  Download it from
http://galeon.sourceforge.net and take a look at the reviews linked to
that site.

Regards :)
--