getting fonts to work

Dear Gnomes,

I tried to get some of Microsofts TrueType fonts working on my machine running Red Hat 7.1....

I printed out the HowTo on this found on the linxux.org site and I followed the instructions.....

I used the chkfontpath thing whatever it is and I managed to get the new fonts added on to it....

I basically have a directory in there with fontname.exe files that were copied from the Microsft site. They were meant for Windows users.... Should they work with linux as is or did I have to something with them before I could use them??????

There are also some other directories in there created with the ttmkfdir command and the mkfontdir command.... I inserted the fonts into xfs.....

I ran this bit as root and wondered if I might have made it difficult for Netscape to access the directory when I logged in as a regular user and I had created a permission problem by being root here....

I was worried the commands might not work or I couldn't go into the sbin directories where they were located if I wasn't root......

So I logged out and logged back as root but either as root or a user when I fired up Netscape it didn't look any better.....

I had changed the fonts preferences in Netscape to use fonts from the websites not defaults. Should I change that back?

Is there a simple diagnostic I can run to check that the fonts have been found and are available beyond checking they have been added to the path?

Is there a simple way to use the new fonts that will them and the big improvement they are supposed to give you???

Do you have to do something with Netscape beyond the xfs installation to get it to use the new fonts?????

How will I know when it has actually worked?

All the best,

Michael Fothergill