Whatever happened to /etc/X11/applnk?

I think someone may have touched on this subject before, but:

I'm wondering what has happened to the support for  /etc/X11/applnk/ in
gnome-core-1.4. As you may recall, Red Hat's release only of GNOME core
used to look for .desktop files in that directory in addition to
/usr/share/gnome/apps. Then their patch was integrated into the main
gnome-core source, but now it seems to be gone, at least from the Ximian
package (gnome-core-1.4.0.2-ximian.8)

- Toralf