2-button mouse and cut-and-paste

I'm using the GNOME which comes with RedHat-7.0 --
it seems to be version 1.2.
I'm using sawfish wm, though changing to another wm
does not seem to help with my problem below.

I have a 2-button mouse, but can't cut-and-paste.
At least, I cannot cut-and-paste within a GNOME terminal,
or from one GNOME terminal to another.

However, I can cut-and-paste from a GNOME terminal into Netscape.
I can also cut-and-paste in a KDE terminal,
opened within GNOME,
and can even paste from a GNOME terminal to a KDE terminal.
If I open a window with "xterm &" I can cut-and-paste within that.

I'm sure there is some simple explanation for this.
I'd really be grateful for any assistance with my problem.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim maths tcd ie