How I made my ximian upgrade work well -- delete user directories

ximian was beginning to act funny.  I'd start it up and it would
sometimes simply grind to a halt.  I was getting funny (odd, not ha
ha) behaviors after it started.  X would crash.  Not wonderful.

I had upgraded from 1.2 using the ximian installer.

I experimented by renaming *-bak all gnome named files in my home
directory.  Did the same for sawmill/sawfish.  Restarted.  Voila!

This would seem to be really be the way to do an upgrade:  make gnome
rebuild the user preferences, rather than try to work with the prior
ones.

Worked for me.

--
John P. Verel