Nautilus Concerns

Why is it that Nautilus needs to create the hidden (dot) directories
everywhere for thumbnails?  I hate Windows, but Explorer is nice in that
it can create thumbnail views on the fly without needing actual
thumbnail pics everywhere.  THis is terribly ugly, especially when I
browse the NT shares at work.  The sysadmins get really pissed.  I have
turned off thumbnail views, but would like to have them the way Explorer
has them.  Can this be done?

Thanks!