Re: Nautilus doesn't start

on 5/3/01 8:50 AM, Brady Montz at bradym balestra org wrote:

> This is very close to the problem I see (redhat 7.0, latest ximian
> install). When I installed ximian, I told it (doorman?) to use
> nautilus as my file manager. When I log in, nautilus just spins the
> CPU forever. If I kill nautilus and restart it, then it runs.
>
> While this CPU spinning is going on, I see this in my
> /var/log/messages:
>
> May  1 11:03:50 lestat gconfd (bradym-1256): Failed to notify listener
> 1191182922, removing: IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
> May  1 11:03:50 lestat gconfd (bradym-1256): Failed to notify listener
> 822084120, removing: IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
> May  1 11:04:38 lestat gconfd (bradym-1256): Failed to notify listener
> 1291846204, removing: IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
> May  1 11:04:38 lestat gconfd (bradym-1256): Failed to notify listener
> 1275068952, removing: IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
>
> So I was wondering if perhaps there were some race condition during
> login where nautilus has to start after some other service.

This is a known, understood problem with Nautilus 1.0 - 1.0.2. It's fixed in
HEAD and the fix will be in the upcoming Nautilus 1.0.3 release.

The problem comes when Nautilus is already running, say to manage the
desktop, and you invoke Nautilus from the command line. The second Nautilus
contacts the first, tells it to open a window, and then quits. But the
session manager sees it quit and thinks it needs to restart, so it keeps
restarting it over and over again. Each new Nautilus contacts the original
process and then quits again.

A workaround is to open new Nautilus windows with the New Window command
from the desktop right-click menu rather than invoking Nautilus again from
the command line.

    -- Darin