Re: File Dialog

"Arjan J. Molenaar" wrote:

> Bart Kuik says:
> > and in my
> > opinion it would be very bad to live on with the old one until the
> > release of gtk+ 2.0. I really miss some buttons like
> 'desktop', 'home',
> > 'back', 'forward', and so on. Only thing that works great is
> > filename-completion with <tab>. But indeed, a recent files
> menu would be
> > very useful.
>
> How should the ideal file-selection box look like? There are some
> attempts to make something better on the net, but I don't know how
>  much of a difference they make. I've seen some discussion about
>  it on the gtk+ list, but no plans were made to improve the current
> file selection box. What should be on the wish-list? gtk+
> style/windows style or maybe NeXTstep style box (I personnaly like
> the last one ;-)? The create directory button is handy, so are
> home/desktop/back/forward keys. File completion is a very nice
> feature and should be preserved IMHO.
>
> Ideas?
Some idea I have is coming form the Acorn-Desktop. I don't wether
someone knows these machienes or not, doesn't matter in the end anyway.
But there file-selection was quiet simple, because they used the
DRAG&DROP mechanism to the end. Just drag a Icon (mime-type) of your
file to the place where it should be. Small, simpl and effective!!
Editing of the filename or type was possible too. There could be
additional things BUT not to much. For creating a directory you should
have a good working directory-viewer (gmc, nautilus ... ;-))
(or something new ?))
Stefan Mattauch