Re: Urgent: Info needed for paper: What exactly is new in 1.4

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Matthias Warkus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently beginning to write up the paper for my LinuxTag talk.
> Since the topic is "GNOME 1.4", I need to know as much as possible
> about what exactly is new in 1.4. Of course I can think up lots of
> stuff for myself -- but I'd surely leave out a lot, too, and
> furthermore, I want to know what *you* think are the important
> changes. This is your chance to let the world know how great GNOME 1.4
> really is :)
>
> What I can come up with is:
> - Nautilus
> - Better panel functionality (I need details on this)
> - More documentation
> - Bugfixes ;)
> - based on GTK+ 1.2.9, which means more stability etc.
> - help browser can be compiled with GtkHTML (or will it go away
>   entirely and be replaced by Nautilus/hyperbola?)

The old help browser will still be usable but is deprecated in 1.4 and
will go away some time in the future.

The help stuff in Nautilus/hyperbola/gnome-db2html2/scrollkeeper is
nothing to brag about right now from a user's perspective, but we have
layed the groundwork for displaying DocBook/XML documentation and managing
documentation metadata.  In upcoming releases of Nautilus and ScrollKeeper
we will see more user-visible improvements and new functionality such as
indexing, metadata searches, user-configurability, access to remote
documentation, conversion of document formats by the help browser, etc.
Plus, by using ScrollKeeper and the OMF, we are building on a metadata
handling system which appears to have the support of the LDP, KDE, and
others which will give us compatibility with documents written by other
projects in the future.

Dan