Re: Cant compile gtk-engines - old gtk still on disk. how to remove

for the larger problem, i am assuming you did 'make uninstall' for the old version

assuming that, if either of these had taken place *after* you did a ./configure, remove config.cache and start again.  this generally solves a lot of problems.

otherwise, try running 'ldconfig -p|grep libgtk' to actually see what version (ldconfig thinks) you have.

you can refresh your ldconfig cache by simply running 'ldconfig -f <configfile>' (assuming <configfile> has all your library paths).  the default on debian systems is /etc/ld.so.conf, and running 'ldconfig' by itself will use the default file

i remember i had this problem before, and at some point i had to manually mangle some symlink names for a lib, but i can't recall if that was the actual step that solved my problem...

-chris

(sorry if this is too basic to help...)